Making Rainbow Rice

Have you tried Pinterest?

It happens to be my new favorite addiction website.

Aside from the million calorie dessert recipes and that-is-so-me quotes, I have also found some great activities for the kids.

This is a very good thing because I have ZERO creativity. Give me directions and I can follow them. Ask me to think up my own craft and we will be coloring in coloring books all day.

So determined to find some activities that my teen and my little ones would enjoy, I decided to attempt rainbow rice.

This cute idea, originally from  Share and Remember seemed like a great sensory activity for my oldest with autism* and a neat alternative to the sand/water/mud table that my two and three year-olds love.

First place all ingredients far away from the “dumper” of the group set out all ingredients:

Large ziploc bags, food coloring, rubbing alcohol, uncooked white rice

Second fill each bag with 4 cups of uncooked rice, 2 T food coloring and 3 T rubbing alcohol.

Seal the bag and give to children who are now climbing on the counter waiting patiently.

Create a song called Shake Your Rice Out and sing to the tune of Shake Your Sillies Out but do not get distracted and miss someone unzipping their zipper bag.

Next turn on the their favorite television show so your children will not see what you are doing and dye their hands with food coloring transfer the contents of each bag on to separate cookie sheets and set out to dry.

The rice should absorb the color and alcohol within an hour if you are able to set it in the sun. Arrange the rice in a bin and keep your children from touching your creation so you can take a picture before they ruin it let the kids play.

And if your children are anything like mine, this will happen after 10 seconds a full hour of playing without fighting….

So there you go, my first documented Pinterest project. I would love for you to “pin” it hope that you liked it!

*Notes on making this autism-friendly: Making this and playing with it was a great sensory activity but if your child with autism has a sensitive nose like mine, make sure you do not mix the alcohol, food coloring and rice when he or she is near. Ashlyn had to leave the room until her bag was sealed and the smell was gone (oops!).  Also, I made her a separate container and didn’t even get a chance to take a picture of it before she snatched it and wandered the yard while running her hands through it. Definitely make a hand-held batch if your autism kiddo is old enough not to dump it everywhere.

Comments

comments

Comments

you also can use it in water bottles, 2 liters etc. It becomes a rattle for little ones:) if you use a 2 liter add magnets inside. Add a magnet wand tied to a string to the lid. Just make sure the lids are glued tight.

• Jessica says

Yep, which actually ended up to be a good thing because deer wandered into our yard and ate it. The kids got to watch the deer close up, it was like the project that kept on giving :).

• Jessica says

I used to be the same and barely used it but now I love it and it really doesn\’t take up too much time.

What a great idea and it seems pretty easy. I might have to try that to keep them from driving me up the wall when I’m trying to fix them “the grossest food ever”. Thank you for sharing it! I have joined pininterest, but haven’t been back. It’s going to take me a while to get used to it I think.
    Tayarra recently posted..WW – Saturday Mornings

This looks so fun! And while I don’t think my toddler is yet ready just to play with the rice (she’d probably just aim to eat it), I will be saving this idea for when she gets a better older! Thanks for sharing!

Oh, Pinterest. I have daydreams of me and Pinterest strolling down the beach during sunset, hand in hand, while an 80’s love song plays softly in the background.

Yeah. I’m sort of a fan.

That is a really cool activity. I wish the internet had been around when I was a kid, I swear. All the neat ideas that can be shared instantly, it’s amazing, isn’t it?
    Mrs. Jen B recently posted..It’s The Great Pumpkin, Mrs. B!

I haven’t tried Pinterest. I don’t quite understand the addiction *tilts head*… but I’m curious. That was a fun looking project though!
    Aleta recently posted..What is this

• Jessica says

Woo hoo, thanks!!
      The funny thing is Pinterest actually doesn\’t take much time. You can go there, pin a few things and have ideas for new things to do. I seem to be able to pull myself away from it, unlike twitter.

I just did the painted feet butterfly this afternoon (which I think I re-pinned from you?). It is my mom’s 60th next week and don’t know what the eff else to get her. I about had a heart attack with all the paint around (I don’t like “stuff” on hands and faces and SKIN and I was dying just painting the girls’ feet). I am like you, I cannot come up with ideas but I can follow directions!
    Amy recently posted..Things a Husband Should Never Say, #1

• Jessica says

I didn\’t get into Pinterest at first but once I started really using it, I love it and have found so many great ideas that I could never think up myself.

Love this! I’ve been seeing a lot of the colored rice projects. I’m not brave enough yet. I love how in tune you are with Ashlyn’s needs. :)
    Leigh Ann recently posted..Ear Candy

• Jessica says

It was really fun, actually I think they had more fun making it than they did playing with it. Which is a good thing since they ultimately dumped it all in the grass ;).

1. [...] while showering to the sound of giggles as the kids used their big sister for a jungle gym (great sensory activity for her, btw) I started thinking of the other odd activities my children use for entertainment each [...]