I can’t believe we are more than half way through our first year of homeschooling. I think my favorite part has been letting go of the “rules” a little bit and thinking outside the box to help McKenna learn. Because of her medical history her small motor skills are delayed and she fatigues quickly when writing. I’ve struggled with how to help her learn early writing skills while working on emerging reading too.
This is an exercise we now use every day or two because she loves it and it completely eliminates her frustration. I can also customize it for the other kids and their learning levels depending on who is home for her lessons.
1. Go over current flashcards you are working on.
2. Let kids pick a favorite word of the day.
3. Squirt shaving cream on a cookie sheet.
4. Place the flashcard in view and allow the kids to trace the word in the shaving cream. Younger kids can trace capital letters, shapes or the easy letters (A, S, O, etc.).
5. Repeat with more flashcards.
Tip: if your kids don’t love to get their hands messy you can put a piece of saran wrap over the sheet of shaving cream and they can trace over the saran wrap and get the same effect.
You might also like...
Powered by Facebook Comments